We packed up camp fast as we could Sunday morning. A storm was blowing in and we didn’t want to take home wet tents. Arrived home safe and took a nap.
After lunch, we took Holden home and went shopping again. Lucked out and found an ice truck at Publix shortly after it pulled up. Ice, propane, batteries and generators were still going fast.
3% of Huntsville now had power. We saw a couple of lights 3-5 miles from our house that gave us some hope, and Publix now had generators for running their freezers.
Mike and I went to bed shortly after dark. Joel fell asleep on the couch in the living room with the dogs and they were all three awakened around midnight by a looter on our back porch. The dogs earned their keep by barking up a storm and Joel by screaming.. the looter ran away and jumped in his get-away car. So glad we were there that night and I am hoping that we can find a solar motion sensor light for our back porch today.
I woke up two hours later being bit by a big tick. Boy, can they bite. I ran to Judi’s room because she had a candle lit. She couldn’t sleep after the looter incident. She tried pull off the tick with tweezers.. he was stuck on tight.. then to burn the tick with her candle lighter – I suggested we find some matches and get Mike to help. He burned it with a lit match (not much better) and was finally able to get him off. I should really look up symptoms for lyme disease.
Next morning I was about to enter an ice cold shower when I had an idea.. we could spend the night in Birmingham that night, take a hot shower, and not wake up as early for my appointments the next morning. Didn’t take much to convince Mike; he’d already been thinking about it. We went to a near by store and used their internet to find and book a hotel, bought the kids a few groceries then ran off to civilization. Almost felt like a date instead of a doctor’s visit.
We had two hot showers, ate at Jim and Nick’s (one of our favorite bbq places) and slept in maybe the nicest hotel we’ve ever stayed at. Appointments went well. I didn’t have an allergic reaction to the CAT scan die (yay!) but did have a reaction to the rubbing alcohol the lab prepped me with. It was probably a good thing.. it was my first time to have an immediate reaction.. and now I can just tell them I had a reaction and request they use something else in the future.
It’s nice to be home again and now that the power is back on, I can get some laundry done. We have a lot to do before Judi goes to TX on Saturday, and even more to do before Mike and I leave for Alaska.
Leave a Reply