The next step in putting together my wicking planters was to
cover the inside of my overflow pipe with screen and a cable tie.
This will keep the bugs out of my water reservoir
and keep my pipe from getting clogged.
Next, I scoured my neighborhood for plastic containers.
Just happened to be recycling day.
It’s times like these when I wish my car was a little less conspicuous.
I washed out then drilled half inch holes in all the containers.
The idea is to make space for your water reservoir and hold up the soil.
I filled in the rest of the space with old packing peanuts.
Then lava rocks.
The more containers the less rocks I had to buy.
My little car was more than full.
Our bank account less full.
Almost forgot to mention the filling tube.
I cut the end of at an angle to add to the ease of filling water reservoir.
See it in the corner below? You stick your water hose in your fill pipe and
fill your reservoir until your overflow pipe lets you know it’s full.
Your soil wicks up the water as your plants use it up.
The air pocket left when the water is used up is also very good for your plants.
The only time your soil gets soaked is when it there’s a down pour..
and even then your plants won’t drown because
the extra water will drain out your overflow pipe.
I knew I had enough rocks when it looked soupy.
I lined up all my soil components.
I read that the best mix for my flowers is
1 part top soil
1 part compost
1 part perlite
I bought two different kinds of compost.
Cow and chicken.
The chicken has this written on the bag
“As oder free as naturally composted poultry waste can be.”
Can be translated.. “IT STINKS!”
I will never buy it again.
and more bags.
I used every last bag, too.
This planater was leaking..
Joel and Judi helped me empty it out.
I re-lined it in the rain.
Before filling with dirt, I lined the planter with screen
to help keep the dirt from falling into the water reservoir.
You can see it in the picture above.
This one’s ready for the bulbs.
Five in this box.
In the spring I plan to buy some other flowers to plant with them.
In my research I learned that their blooms only last for 3 weeks. 🙁
So much work for 3 weeks.
But hopefully they will bloom for years to come.
My last batch of soil.
I really enjoyed the hard work.
So nice to be feeling up to it.
Here’s the box topped off with mulch out our back window.
Can’t wait to take pictures of the flowers
overlooking the lake next spring.
Boxes in the front. Should get plenty of sun. Yay!
Now I need to power wash the clay off our sidewalk.
Leave a Reply